Theft Case Study: Stolen Ford Fiesta ST
Global Telemetrics were alerted that our customer’s Fiesta had been stolen from its last known location. Our customer had gone to do some shopping in their local Sainsbury’s store and had come out to find their vehicle no longer there.
In the event of a theft of an asset the following process will occur:
- Customer will report their vehicle stolen on our dedicated theft line / Global Telemetrics will ring the customer to make them aware of one of the alerts that our system generates (Vehicle moving without ignition, Battery disconnected, Driver Detection not present)
- If not already obtained, customer will be advised to ring the police and obtain a crime reference number
- Global Telemetrics work with our agents who work alongside the police to secure your asset. Upon a receipt of crime reference number, agents will attend the location of your vehicle
- As a safety precaution, upon notifying Global Telemetrics of a theft all access to our apps is temporarily disabled. We will keep the owner informed of any updates so they can rest assured everything is in hand. Global Telemetrics will not provide customers with an exact location of the asset to avoid customers endangering themselves
- When the vehicle is secured, Global Telemetrics will call the customer to confirm that the vehicle is safe
- The police will arrange with the customer collection of the vehicle either from its location or after recovery and forensic examination
When the customer called us he had already reported the theft to the police and was able to provide us with a crime reference number. After taking further details from the customer regarding the vehicle, we checked our data and were able to locate via the tracker that the vehicle had been moved and parked at a separate location. This is fairly common in a theft situation so that a vehicle can be watched for a period of time to see if anyone comes to claim the vehicle or so that a vehicle can be searched to see if it has a tracking device installed.
With the location in hand, our repatriation agents and police headed to the location and secured the vehicle. Due to the nature of the theft and the location it had occurred, the police wished to take the vehicle for forensic analysis so impounded the vehicle until this could be performed. Our Global Telemetrics team called the customer to pass on the good news.
Whilst thefts can often follow the same patterns, no two thefts are ever the same, most think of thefts happening during late nights or early mornings but this theft and others recently highlight that they can occur any time and when you least expect it.
For tips on how to further protect your vehicle from theft check out our blog post at: https://smartrack.uk.net/helpful_tips_to_keep_your_vehicle_safe/