Theft Case Study: Stolen FIAT Ducato Autotrail Motorhome
As we rapidly approach the spring, Global Telemetrics sees somewhat of an awakening happening with our customers’ vehicles. Motorhomes and Caravans that had previously been tucked up in storage for the winter all start to appear once again on our roads as they head back to customers’ homes or off on their adventures.
Sadly, this also means we see a rise in theft numbers for this type of vehicle. This was the case in February where we had a theft and recovery of a Fiat Ducato Autotrail Motorhome in the London area.
Just before 1am our control centre had an alert that the battery had been disconnected, upon calling the customer, who was on a business trip and not at his home address and believed it to be stolen.
In the event of a theft of an asset the following process will occur:
- Customer will report their vehicle stolen on our dedicated theft line / Global Telemetrics will ring the customer to make them aware of one of the alerts that our system generates (Vehicle moving without ignition, Battery disconnected, Driver Detection not present)
- If not already obtained, customer will be advised to ring the police and obtain a crime reference number
- Global Telemetrics work with our agents who work alongside the police to secure your asset. Upon a receipt of crime reference number, agents will attend the location of your vehicle
- As a safety precaution, upon notifying Global Telemetrics of a theft all access to our apps is temporarily disabled. We will keep the owner informed of any updates so they can rest assured everything is in hand. Global Telemetrics will not provide customers with an exact location of the asset to avoid customers endangering themselves
- When the vehicle is secured, Global Telemetrics will call the customer to confirm that the vehicle is safe
- The police will arrange with the customer collection of the vehicle either from its location or after recovery and forensic examination
Once the customer had confirmed the motorhome was indeed stolen, he was advised to ring the police and obtain a crime reference number, whilst our control centre prepped the details ready for our repatriation team. A check of our tracking data gave our team a location to attend as soon as we had further instruction. Upon the receipt of the crime reference number our team mobilised and attended the location.
Within 2 hours of the first alert our repatriations team secured the vehicle. The thieves had sadly caused a fair bit of damage ripping all of the dashboard out to try and find the tracking unit but were unsuccessful.
As is common in many thefts the police wished to take the vehicle for forensic analysis so the tracker was recovered to a police impound unit. Our Global Telemetrics team called the customer to pass on the good news of the successful recovery.
As the spring and summer approaches and your caravans and motorhomes are ‘back on the road’, get the best protection for your vehicle possible by contacting us today!
For details of the products we have on offer please visit
For Motorhome devices Click Here
For Caravan devices Click Here